Getting ready to entertain for the holidays? Here are some ESSENTIAL tools and gadgets to make slaving in the kitchen easy as pie.
Set these under your hot baking dishes, and voila! bakeware –> serveware. We love the idea of bake to table. Less fuss and less mess!
2. Natural Parchment Paper, $3.99, from Chefs.
Trace the bottom of your cake pans, cut out and place paper at the bottom of your vessels. You’ll never have a problem turning cakes out again. Also–forget Pam and line your cookie sheets with Parchment for stick-free, perfect cookies every time minus the chemicals.
3. Kuhn Rikon Green Silicone Balloon Whisk (8″ and 10″), $15.95-$19.95, from Sur La Table.
Whether you’re whipping up a roux or stirring a gravy, if you’re using a nonstick pan, it’s better to opt for a silicone-coated whisk in place of metal.
4. 12″ L Potato Masher, $9.99, from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Mashed potatoes, duh!
5. Kitchen Aid Artisan Stand Mixer in Green Apple, $349.99, from Lord + Taylor.
It does everything. A must for holiday baking, and whipping up fresh cream to top your delicacies!
6. Zwilling J.A. Henckles 7-Piece Knife Block Set, $249.99, from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Good, sharp knives are perhaps the most important item on this list. If we know anything for certain, it’s that the holidays mandate a lot of slicing and dicing.
7. Le Creuset Signature Oval Dutch Oven in Red, $145-$490, from Williams-Sonoma.
If your family is anything like ours, there are several mouths to feed. And we all have healthy appetites. We’re a big “seconds” family. A dutch oven feeds a crowd–and caramelizes food beautifully, rendering those good bits on the bottom of the pan that yield award-winning flavor.
8. Sur La Table Silpat Baking Mat, $19.95, from Sur La Table.
Again, a must for holiday baking.
9. Chef’n FreshForce 2-in-1 Pastry Brush, $9.95, from Sur La Table.
For glazing a roast, buttering warm rolls, icing cinnamon rolls…
10. Polder Deluxe Preset Meat Thermometer, $29.99, from Bed Bath & Beyond.
Overdone meat is a no-no. This thermometer plugs into your meat and sits on the counter. No extra work, but worth it for just right, juicy results.
11. Le Creuset White 7-Piece Tools Set, $69.95, from Sur La Table.
Spatulas of all sizes and shapes are so helpful. Great for draining, scooping, scraping and…licking.
12. Lysol Disinfecting Wipes, $7.99, EVERYWHERE.
With so much traffic in your kitchen, germs are a plenty. Keep things safe and clean with these easy, disposable wipes. Also, store a package in each bathroom to help with last-minute cleanup before a party.